Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Why Do Black Lives Matter?

I admit it, I was one of those guys....


I was wrong. 


I must apologize from the outset. I’ve historically responded to the cry “Black Lives Matter” with the retort “No, All  Lives Matter”. Heck I’ve gotten fancy a few times and even said “Every single life matters”. 


But you see, that’s not the point is it? I didn’t understand. I completely missed the point. Lost in my own world, my own filter of the world. I frankly did not have the wisdom to understand what “Black Lives Matter” meant. 


I was a career police officer. I’m proud that I served the communities I worked in.  I know that I worked hard. I was honest, I did the right things, even when people weren’t looking or there wasn’t a video camera on me. I worked with great people, in great communities and can say for certain, that I never saw anything like what we all saw in Minneapolis, or Chicago last year or even almost 30 years ago in Los Angeles with a guy named Rodney King who simply asked "Can we all get along?"

Yes I was a police officer during the time of the Rodney King assault. It was life changing for me. I remembered watching it on the news completely numb with the thought that people in my profession could do that to another human. But I don't want to get ahead myself here, so let's forget I mentioned that. 


I own a Thin Blue Line Flag. I wear a Thin Blue Line Flag patch on my running vest. I have a bunch of shirts with the Thin Blue Line design on them. It's my identity. I love my fellow brothers and sisters in blue. In my mind I will always be a police officer, it's ingrained into my DNA. Somehow the Thin Blue Line flag became a symbol of racism to some folks. I respectfully disagree but I understand the sentiment.


I have talked about my own identity and loves quite a bit. What and who we love and whom we identify with, really defines who we are. 


Some folks in this country would say that "Black Lives Matter" is racist statement against white America. Its not at all that, by the way. Its a statement meant to unify people to the message that racism exists and to make immediate/substantive changes to eliminate it.


I am not black. I will never be black. I will never understand what it is like to be black or grow up as a black man. I cannot identify with being black just because I have black friends. I just will never fully understand. I have to accept that completely, to try to understand the concept of Black Lives Matter. 


Rhetoric and retorts are sometimes meant to reduce the impact and belittle the original message. Take for example when somebody says something like "she's a pretty for a big girl". Why cant she just be simply pretty? It's like  saying "for a smart guy, he sure is handsome." Really, are smart people typically not handsome? Our own insecurities prompt us to do and say these things. 


All lives matter, yes of course they do. Police officer lives matter, yes, yes they do. Every single life matters, of course. All rhetorical, because of course all of these matter and frankly to me, always will. 


The moment is important to people. Let me repeat for those not paying attention. THIS moment is important. Let me put it to you in a way that you can identify with to put it in perspective. 


During the Olympics when you see the Americans walk into the Olympic stadium, wearing red, white and blue, do you swell with pride and get a lump in your throat? Maybe? - the moment


When you watched the final scene in Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker, lump in your throat, tear in your eye? No? - the moment


When you saw Prince playing Purple Rain at the Superbowl in the dang rain....emotions, lump, tears? Maybe? Probably...the moment


My mother always called me a softy.....I probably am. Everyone of those examples gets me a little emotional. I admit it. My heart melts at this stuff and always will because of the moment


I want you to try change the way you see yourself. I want you to see yourself through the eyes of others. No we cannot fully understand but let's set the stage. Let's look back a few years and try to see through histories eyes of black people in America or at least try.

  • Your people were former slaves. 

  • They had no freedoms at all. 

  • In writings of the time they were considered as a race, sub-human.

  • Some women were raped and abused at the whim of their owners

  • Men were beaten when they wouldn't submit

  • The entire system relied on them be obedient slaves

  • Black suffrage - Black men did not get the right to vote until AFTER the civil war (15th Amendment)

  • Black suffrage - Black women (Latina's and other races as well) did not get the right to vote until....1965!

  • Civil rights act of 1964 - 1964 folks

What Is the Civil Rights Act?

Under the Civil Rights Act of 1964, segregation on the grounds of race, religion or national origin was banned at all places of public accommodation, including courthouses, parks, restaurants, theaters, sports arenas and hotels. No longer could blacks and other minorities be denied service simply based on the color of their skin.


Just a few examples here for you.


There are other things like gentrification, social economics and frankly many other factors that have impacts on black America. I do not have the time for that here. 


Notice how I don't use the term African-American? The term African-American to me says "well not quite American" or "subset of America". Folks they/we are AMERICANS. We are from the USA. We are "One Nation Under God". 


When these incidents happen and we are outraged, something changes inside of our heart. Frank Herbert said in his book Dune published in 1965 "Without change something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken."


The sleeper awakes when we see these incidents. Minneapolis was just the latest in a string of incidents and created this moment. Black Lives Matter is a war cry. It brings people together. It unifies the message of a demand for equality 360 degrees in this nation. 


We have asked people in this country "If you see something, say something". Black Lives Matter is the message that people are saying when they saw the murder of George Floyd and other incidents that sparked the movement. 


But Dave, some of these cases were proven to be false. Yes, agreed. I acknowledge that. Not all of these national incidents were an instance of the police doing wrong. People do wrong things at times folks. I accept that we are human and not infallible, that goes for citizens and police alike. But the optics.....the optics were bad and sometimes that is what it is. After all, bad optics can also get people killed.


If my father, brother, son or friend was George Floyd I would be inconsolable. I would be outraged. I would be absolutely militant in my anger. I would want justice but I would most likely not be able to find peace. 


Please read that again and insert your relative, your child, your husband/spouse, your parent or your friend into that scenario. Tell me how you would honestly feel. How would you react?


Black Lives Matter: Is this a cry for justice? Yes. For unity? Yes. For change? Yes 


Am I proud to have served this community as a police officer? Hell yes I am . Am I proud of my fellow police officers? Absolutely I am . Do we need to make changes in selection and standards for law enforcement? Yes there should be a national standard for backgrounds, psychological examinations, physical fitness and longer police academy training. Some European nations require two years of basic training and two years of schooling for each rank. 

Are the former officers in Minneapolis murderers? From my vantage point it is an absolute yes and they should be shown the full-weight of the court and frankly be held to a higher standard because of their former positions of public trust. 


I asked the question "Why Do Black Lives Matter?" Black Lives Matter because in this moment and moments like them, the phrase, the rally cry unifies the message that racism, inequality and the justice system need an overhaul. I agree.


My agreement is not a mark against our law enforcement officers, its a loud vocal vote of support for them. Pretty much all of them agree that what happened in Minneapolis and many of these other hi-profile incidents, are a complete abomination of justice. Remember police officers are your neighbors, your fellow church congregates, your brother/sisters, your community members. They are as mad or madder than maybe most of you about these disgusting acts. They did not sign up for that and do not support that nonsense.


If we are still seeking to be the greatest free nation in the world, we must not marginalize our greatest assets. Our differences are our greatest assets. Our people are our greatest asset. All of our people. 


I still believe in my heart we are the greatest nation in the world


Folks, Black Lives Matter, period.


God bless America, I love you all.


Dave 



4 comments:

  1. Thank You Chief (PIO)!

    Your post is honest and brutal. My respect for you has been heightened by your honest reflection, revelations, and humanity about this situation that has gripped our Nation. THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chief Dave, I am so thrilled to read your amazing writings. Retirement looks great on you, you have become such an amazing author with such HEART. Thank you, this is awe inspiring and a MUST read for ALL human beings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have read 3 times. Want to really get the”feeling” of your thoughts. Thank you for taking the time to give us your very heart felt insight to our nation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read many arguments supporting one side or the other feelings about what's going on, and it's discouragingly tiresome because everyone has a good point and it often leaves me more confused and frustrated on where to stand. Your message is by far the most eloquently, calmly, and legitimately-written message, and I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete