Thursday, August 11, 2016

Questions asked & answered

Occasionally I get asked questions, some completely legit, others completely off the wall (I will let you be the judge).


Norma asked: Construction Zones Question. Does the reduced speed apply only when they are working there or all times until the job is finished and the signs are removed. 


Great question! So if there's a set construction zone that has active signage, the reduced speed applies at all times - you can also check DMV's drivers handbook here: Driver Safety

Justin asked: Traffic light sensors and motorcycles...how many light cycles are motorcycles required to wait before it is permitted to proceed when safe? Seems like I get stuck at every light in town when riding early in the morning...it gets really old. Thanks in advance for addressing this.

I guess my answer is: 1) please call us if a sensor doesnt work properly 2) please wait until the light changes

Teresa asked: Where's a great place to work out? (This may be a leading question ;))

Any place that you find effective for yourself and body......(yes a politically correct answer, even though it pains me). CrossFit works for me, It may not be for you. My advice, try something and get moving. 

ADA Ramp
Ana-Marie asked: Is it illegal to block an ADA ramp on the sidewalk?

It is illegal to block an ADA ramp (with a few exceptions)

Rachel asked: Chief, what is the best thing to do when dealing with a confrontational officer?

I want our officers to confront problems head on, so do you. You don't want police officers that shy away from the issue, you want problem solvers. However, I'm assuming you're asking about rudeness. If that's the case, here in Hollister, you can call the supervisor over after the call (636-4331), you can email us at info@police.hollister.ca.us. You can report it via citizens complaint form here: Comments / Complaints. You can even compliment an officer on our smartphone app here: Mypdapp.com

Jason Martinez asked: Favorite band as a teen and favorite band now?

As a teen, it was Van Halen, no doubt, 1000%. Now, wow hard to say. I really like Metallica, Megadeth tons of great metal bands right now (Gojira, Kvelertak, Killswitch Engage, etc...)
Van Halen

But, I love great country music too, Brad Paisley is about as good guitarist there is right now, really. He is the Eddie Van Halen, Dimebag Darrell of country music. He plays an absolutely blazing version of "Hot for Teacher". 

I also love Kenny Wayne Shepherd even though he hasn't been in the studio since 2014, which should be frankly a crime. 

Monique asked: Can I ask questions about joining law enforcement? What are the qualifications? Etc.

I expect a lot of folks may want to know this information. Here is a link from California POST (Peace Officers Standards and Training) that explains requirements: HERE

In Hollister, like any other City / County we have a hiring process. The process is explained on our job announcements. However, here is the process in brief.

  • Application / resume (optional)
  • Physical Ability / Entry Level Exam *
  • Oral Board
  • Captains Oral
  • Background / Polygraph
  • Conditional Job Offer
  • Psychological exam
  • Medical exam 
* Entry level only

Michelle asked:  Buses...I know we are required to stop for school buses in both directions but does that apply to county buses too?

Yes on most all streets / roadways in Hollister, you must stop for school (the little stop sign that pops out) in both directions. If the bus has the stop sign or active flashing lights, you need to stop. County transit are not setup with stop signs and the flashing lights for the most part, so there is no stopping with those.

Annabel asked: How about reminding people to pick up their dog poop? Oh and what's up with people who are double parked all the time? Is this all of a sudden allowed now? And the leash law...

That should be a given, if your dog does his/her business, please pick it up. So gross. Keep your dogs on a leash when they are not in your yard / fenced. Double parking is a violation, call us if you want or need action. 

Nancy asked: What's your favorite Olympic sport?

Summer Olympics it's gotta be track, speed events. I did those as a kid, so there's a genuine interest. Winter Olympics, I love the downhill events, love snowboarding events, I love bobsled.....I actually prefer the Winter Olympics

Kent asked:  Best way to deal with Road Rage.

I think somebody said "ignore it". I actually agree with this tactic. If it persists, after, please call 911. There is a real chance that it can quickly escalate into something very serious. 

Casey asked: What is your view on the Second Amendment?

I'm sworn to uphold all of the amendments, so I am a supporter. Our Constitution is so important, it is the glue and basis for our American Civil Liberties. Wise men, debated and debated and then put pen to paper. Amazing stuff, if you ask me.

So I guess you are really asking about guns though right? I am a gun owner, I believe in gun rights. I believe in responsible gun ownership. Anything else? I know that is a pretty simple answer, but I think it covers it. 

Frances asked: Any progress on the murder of Ari Zendejas and the murder suspect who has disappeared for so long?

I don't have much to report. We still receive briefings. The suspect is still wanted for her murder. We have several agencies working on the case. It's obviously still open. I keep a picture of Ari on my desk to remind me of our communities loss that night. 

Tim asked: Has the Department developed and implemented an active shooter policy?

All departments should have a policy and have current, realistic training. We have both. We are lucky in that one of SRO's is our Active Shooter instructor. He is also one of our range masters. We have the proper defensive tools and training. We also help train the schools staff as well.

Jenna asked: What would cross your mind if your child(ren) decided they wanted to be a police offer when they grow up?

I hate to admit it but once upon a time I would be beaming at the thought of it for one of my kids. Now I am terrified at the thought. 😏


It would be honestly scary for me and also I would be proud. Being a servant to others is the most noble thing you can do in life. I do not know how I have survived my career. I have been to everything and done almost everything. I've been close to death, more times than I'd like to remember. Still, I would do it all over again. Its what I am. I like to help people and serve. 

Casey asked: How do you think we can get past all this Blue Lives/Black Lives matter and get back to ALL/HUMAN LIVES MATTER????

But not dwelling on the headlines and the color of one's skin and concentrating on what's inside folks hearts. Simply stated, but often not accomplished. 

I think police officers, as a group are the some of the most altruistic, giving, unbiased people on the planet. However, every one and I mean every single person has some bias. Ghandi and Mother Teresa had some bias, I guarantee it. We are human, it's just one of our failings. The trick is, is to realize our bias, overcome them and become a better person. 

We are America, we are a melting pot, that's what makes us great and what makes us strong. 

Paul asked: What are your predictions for the NL wild card?

Wow, I don't know. I think the Dodgers are probably a Wild Card team. I just do not know about the other squad. SF Giants will take the pennant thought. 

Kathy asked: When did you know you wanted be a cop and why?

So originally I wanted to be a Journalist and as a kid, I wrote for my hometown paper and another paper. Mostly sports stuff. It's sort of funny reading some of my articles now. 

Anyway, My Uncle Jim is about 10 yrs older than I and he became a police officer right after college. I was in elementary school and thought it was really cool. I still remember the smell of the leather and the squeaking of the belt as he walked around. 

I went to college and drove by the academy one day on accident. I saw them running. A school mate of mine was in the academy and I saw him running. I chatted with him later that day. I was hooked. I attended the academy about a month or so later and haven't looked back.

Bonnie asked: I saw you mentioned in another post about bringing 911 dispatch back to Hollister. How likely do you think that can happen??

I did say that. I actually have zero complaints with SCR 911. They have been just great partners and we've saved a ton of money with them. Its just that, costs are always on the rise and at some point, the cash savings with SCR 911 will evaporate completely. I would give it less than 5 years. My job is to run this police department as efficiently as possible and be a guardian of the public's funds. So we have to make a decision. Can we do it cheaper and as efficiently? Can we improve on the service? What would something like that look like? Are there potential partners with something like this?

All valid questions. I always need to have a plan 3-5 years in the future.

Kathleen asked: I like to know what is being to enforce the leash law in Hollister and making sure all dogs have licenses. Not that there is a law but what is being done about it.Loose dogs and no respect for the leash law in Hollister is a daily occurrence.

A simple call to Animal Control can get a response if you are in need. We have three Animal Control Officers in the county. They all work for me. We are in the process of hiring a 4th right now. They enforce animal laws and ordinances. Anything else?

Kathleen asked: I'd like to know if there are any laws regarding selling puppies?? Too often on Facebook, I see backyard breeders selling puppies who I believe most will end up in shelters.😢There should be laws that ONLY licensed reputable breeders can sell puppies!!

So thats a good question - CA Penal Code 597z – Sale of dogs under 8 weeks of age - It is a crime for any person to sell one or more dogs under eight weeks of age, unless, prior to any physical transfer of the dog or dogs from the seller to purchaser, the dog or dogs are approved for sale, as evidenced by written documentation from a veterinarian licensed to practice in California.

We get calls like this all the time and we respond and cite those that are involved. Call us anytime you suspect this occurring.

Karina asked: How about people parking in handicap they're not handicapped


That is a very expensive ticket. We are on the lookout for that violation and we even like to be dispatched for that one. So call us! 

Michael asked: For those that have a California CCW. if contacted by P.D either by way of a traffic stop or on the street what should an individual do or say to avoid an unfortunate misunderstanding which may end badly?

The very first thing to say is "Officer I have a CCW and I am carrying a firearm on my person". Then do exactly what the officer says. The officers are familiar with how to take care of it from there. 

Casey asked: I have a VERY important question.... Chicago or New York style pizza????

Hmmm, Chicago style 100% and that is a tough thing to admit for a Packers fan.

Mariana asked: Can people get a violation notice about basketball hoops blocking parking in (the) streets -- they're hard to see at night, or blocking driveways, or sidewalks?

Yes, you can call Code Enforcement and report them if they appear to be a hazard. Code Enforcement 's number is 636-4356

______________________________________________________________________

That is it for this edition of My Chief Thoughts. I'll do a Vlog soon and I think its about time for a Coffee with the Cops. What do you think?

Until next time,

Be good to each other,

Chief



No comments:

Post a Comment