Thursday, December 26, 2019

The Next Thing

As I retire, I realized the other day, as far as my career at Hollister PD and as a law enforcement officer in California, there will be a lot of "lasts" for me, really quick.

The last time wearing the uniform. The last time opening my office door. The last time walking into the briefing room. A lot of lasts.

Auctioneering at the
FBI Academy
Such is life and its impermanence. According to Buddhism, everything in human life, all objects, as well as all beings whether in heavenly or hellish or earthly realms in Buddhist cosmology, is always changing, inconstant, undergoes rebirth and redeath. There is wisdom in those thoughts.

Will I miss all of those things and experiences. Sure I will. But I am excited for the future. I am excited to be able to do the things that I have always wanted to do.

I will spend more time with my family, my dogs and of course keep trying to live a healthy, active lifestyle. I will do more obstacle course racing (Spartan races), I will work on more projects in my shop and around the house. I will volunteer even more around the community and help with those projects/programs that are important to us all. I will advocate for important and publicly beneficial programs in our region. Maybe more....who knows

First ever Spartan Race
Monterey, CA
I would like to hike the entire length of the John Muir Trail or maybe even the Pacific Crest Trail someday soon. I would love to read more. I would like to write more, perhaps a few books. I want to travel more with my wife. I want to see my family and friends more.

Work? Sure I will probably go back to work soon. But it would have to be the right fit for me personally. People have asked me if I "see myself going back into law enforcement or government?" My answer is a easy "yes", because I have a servants heart but I would want to make sure it fit into my families lifestyle and plans.

Winston Churchill once wrote "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."

So perhaps this is the end of the beginning of my story. I am truly ready for the next challenge. I am ready for something else. At the gym, before a work out (crossfit does varying programed workouts each day) I always say "Lets do this" just prior to beginning. So I am saying now "Lets do this" for the next chapter.

Do I have some idea of what I want to do. Sure I do (keeping it close to the chest for now). However I will say, I am going to be flexible.
My buddy Tyler and I at the SBC Fair
a few years ago

I remember my mom telling me I could do anything I wanted to do in life. I just had commit to doing the work to attain/earn that goal. I remember my dad working with me for hours on different sports stuff to help me practice. I remember us working on throwing the discus for literally hours at a time. He was tired from working all day, but he was committed to helping his son be the best he could be. Hopefully I am little like both of my parents.

I am ready to get to get busy with the next thing.

always be good to each other,


Chief

No comments:

Post a Comment