Sunday, January 14, 2018

FBI NA Week 1 - Session #271



It is Sunday January 14th, 2018, the FBI National Academy Session #271 has completed its first official week.


This week we all went through orientation, bought our uniforms, found our gym lockers and began all of classes.
Famous Hamsters tubes here


My schedule is as follows


  • Fitness in Law Enforcement (physical training)
  • Managing Organizational Change and Development
  • Contemporary Issues in Law Enforcement
  • The Cyber Threat Landscape for Law Enforcement Executives
  • Media and Managing Law Enforcement Image
  • Contemporary Issues in LE - Seminar


All of these courses are graduate level (except for physical training)



We all had to get accessed and then run and qualify in the fitness test, I qualified. That means that I can now participate in the weekly challenges (every Wednesday). Most of our session qualified. Those that didn't will have a chance to re-test on Week 8.


We had to learn the hamster tubes (pictured) and take many wrong turns as we made our way to classes. At the NA if you have a BA/BS degree you must take graduate level classes. The cool thing is all of the classes are essentially in same building (even the gym) for the most part.


I have to say that I am extremely impressed with the level of instruction at the FBI academy. These professors are literally the best of the best. The PT instructors all have master’s degrees (Some have multiple degrees).  Very high level folks.


Everybody knows I love going to the gym and frankly that training has helped immensely here. However, the workouts they do here are no messing around. For crossfitters, we essentially did a Tabata style "Fran" (different movements but you get the drift) for our very first workout. I was fine; I felt like I always do after a benchmark WOD....I felt awesome.
KBS in the FBI Gym


About the gym, its super nice. There is a large weight room with every single machine, piece of equipment and about a zillion dumbbells, barbells, kettlebells and some bells I'm sure....very nice. There is a very large room that we use to workout in. Its about the size of two basketball gyms. Its huge. They have large mats that cover the floor and we work out on those. Around the perimeter is multiple rowers, bikes and treadmills. There is a cardio room in a trailer just outside of the gym door. Beyond on that is the all-weather track and field house (its huge and used for over flow on busy gym days).


For my Media class I report to the PCL (media room). This room is essentially a TV studio. It is very cool and I can’t wait to get this class going.


I have already turned in 4 assignments for my classes. I've read all the books / references that I can. I just have to wait until next week’s classes so I can get the next set of assignments and get more done.
FBI Library


Food - the food here is outstanding. Curiously, it seems the FBI absolutely loves tater tots. I like them too, but they are served breakfast, lunch and some dinners, so I have had enough of them. Seriously, it’s a tater tot lovers heaven here at Quantico. I feel like I'm in the Land of Tatertotalonia with only a packet of ketchup to keep me alive. The food is really good though. We had pan steaks last night for dinner. Everything is labeled for caloric content, which is nice.



The weather is sort of nuts here for a guy from California. The other day it was almost 60 and folks were out in shorts and tanks enjoying the summer weather (in January in Virginia). Today its 15 degrees. The air bites you as you open the door outside. Literally takes your breath away. There is a little snow here and there, but mostly it’s clear. I plan on doing a little exploring later today and check out more of the base.


I’ll write a how to/what you should bring/prepare for the NA blog later. I have a few suggestions.


That is all for now. Have a great day, be good to each other. 


Chief

No comments:

Post a Comment