Sunday, January 21, 2018

FBI NA Week 2 - Session #271

Week 2 at the FBI National Academy began with the three day weekend. The specter of a government shutdown was all of our sessions primary concern, including the FBI (all the way to the top of the Bureau). We kept hearing that back in 2013, the FBI actually sent home an entire session of the National Academy, a FBI recruit class and all staff at the academy. So that wasn't good.

Later in the week. The director of the FBI Academy announced that our session would not be sent home no matter what happened.

Tuesday we started regular classes back after the long weekend. Some of our classes require a lot of reading to prepare for the corresponding lesson (think of it as very compressed / high intensity graduate classes). I personally have multiple term papers in my classes, as well as the regular daily assignments. I like to get my stuff done, so I put a lot of effort into getting the assignments completed way ahead of time so I can enjoy my weekends.

After the 1.47 mile Tin Man Fit Challenge
Wednesday was our very first Fit Challenge. It was snowing. It was extremely cold. I finished about mid-pack which worked for me. We showered and then had our session photos in the afternoon. That evening we had Patch/Pin and Coin night in the Atrium of the FBI Academy. I now have a ton of coins, pins and patches from agency members in my session (maybe 10-12 pounds of items in my locker here).

On Thursday we had our for forum in the auditorium. I think we are scheduled to have this each week. Our first speaker was Major Douglas Burig of the Pennsylvania State Police. It was a very moving and insightful talk on his experience at the West Nickel Mines Amish School House Shooting. Major Burig was the on-scene commander at this horrific incident. This one made me really think. We will be proactive in Hollister, there were several things I learned from this particular talk on school safety and I honestly thought I had a really good handle on it.
Session Picture Day

Friday was got back to regular classes. I am busier in some classes than others. The Cyber Threats class I am taking is very good. It is a lot of technical reading, but that's necessary with the materials taught in class. Additionally I have a class on Media and Image of Law Enforcement. It is outstanding. I know that its in my wheelhouse, but there are a ton of things I am learning in this one.

Next week, we have another Fit Challenge on Wednesday morning. That night we are visiting the Law Enforcement Memorial in Washington (after class).
So many stairs here

I want to thank everybody for keeping me up to date on the happenings back home in Hollister. I am still trying to raise a few bucks for Special Olympics in Virginia. I will be participating in the polar plunge in a few weeks as part of a fundraiser - if you want to help me go here Chief Westrick's Special Olympics Fundraiser

Ok I'll do another blog for Week 3 next Sunday. Have a great week, be good to each other.

Chief

No comments:

Post a Comment